Effective Dates of Promotion
|Second Lieutenant||May 2, 2013|
|First Lieutenant||May 2, 2015|
|Captain||May 2, 2017|
Captain Nicholas J. Stein
Captain Nicholas J. Stein is an Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies and Recruiting Officer at Air Force Reserve Officer Training (ROTC) Detachment 250, Iowa State University. He is responsible for local recruiting and as an Air Education and Training Command (AETC) Master Instructor he ensures the comprehensive military education of over 60 cadets annually, cultivating them to become high quality officers for the United States Air and Space Forces.
Captain Stein grew up along the Pacific Coast, calling San Diego, California home. After earning his degree from California State University, San Marcos, he joined the civil sector as a freelance video editor and photographer. He was allured to the call to serve and to fly so applied for a rated position as an officer in the United States Air Force. He was eventually commissioned through the Officer Training School at Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama in May 2013. His first duty station was Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida where he earned his wings as a Combat Systems Officer and was assigned to fly in the B-52H. He was later stationed at Minot AFB, North Dakota flying as an Evaluator Electronic Warfare Officer. He later became a T-1A Evaluator CSO, instructing and evaluating four advanced phases of flight and simulator training as well as training new instructor cadre in the Air Force’s only Undergraduate Combat System Officer Training Program out of Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida. He has traveled around the world in support of the Bomber Task Force and deployed to Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar in support of Operations INHERENT RESOLVE and FREEDOM’S SENTINEL where his squadron led the CAF in successful attacks against ISIS and was instrumental in liberating Mosul from terrorist claim. Prior to his current position, Captain Stein was the Chief of Group Protocol, 479th Flying Training Group, 12th Flying Training Wing, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.
|2010||Bachelor of Arts, Mass Media, California State University, San Marcos|
|2019||Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.|
Awards and Decorations
- Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- May 2013-January 2015, Student, Undergraduate Combat Systems Officer Training, 12th Flying Training Wing, 479th Operational Support Squadron, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
- January 2015-January 2016, Student, B-52H Electronic Warfare Officer Training, 2d Bomb Wing, 11th Bomb Squadron, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana
- January 2016-December 2017, Scheduling Officer, 5th Bomb Wing, 23d Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D. (February 2017- September 2017, Electronic Warfare Officer, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, 23d Expeditionary Bomb Squadron, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar)
- December 2017-January 2019, Assistant Flight Commander/Instructor Electronic Warfare Officer, 5th Bomb Wing, 23d Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
- January 2019-August 2019, Flight Commander/Evaluator Electronic Warfare Officer, 5th Bomb Wing, 23d Bomb Squadron, Minot AFB, N.D.
- August 2019-January 2020, T-1A Instructor Combat Systems Officer in Training, 12th Flying Training Wing, 451st Flying Training Squadron, NAS Pensacola, Fla.
- January 2020-January 2021, Scheduling Officer/Instructor Combat Systems Officer, 12th Flying Training Wing, 451st Flying Training Squadron, NAS Pensacola, Fla.
- January 2021-October 2021, Deputy Chief, Electronic Warfare Track/Instructor Combat Systems Officer, 12th Flying Training Wing, 451st Flying Training Squadron, NAS Pensacola, Fla.
- October 2021-October 2022, Chief of Group Programs/Evaluator Combat Systems Officer, 12th Flying Training Wing, 479th Flying Training Group, NAS Pensacola, Fla.
- October 2022-Present, Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies and Recruiting Officer, Air Force Reserve Officer Training (ROTC) Detachment 250, Iowa State University, Iowa