Effective Dates of Promotion
|Second Lieutenant||Jan. 5, 2002|
|First Lieutenant||Jan. 5, 2004|
|Captain||Jan. 1, 2006|
|Major||Jan. 1, 2012|
|Lieutenant Colonel||Jan. 1, 2017|
Lieutenant Colonel Michael Hanson
Lieutenant Colonel Michael D. Hanson is is Commander for the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC) Detachment 250 at Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, home of the “Cyclones”. As professor and chair of the university’s Aerospace Studies Department, he is responsible for recruiting and the comprehensive military education of officer candidates from four universities.
Lieutenant Colonel Hanson was commissioned in 2001 through the ROTC program at Iowa State University. He is an instructor Air Battle Manager with more than 2,300 hours in the E-3A/B/C. He has served in a variety of positions as a Senior Air Battle Manager, including Operations Officer. Lt Col Hanson has deployed in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom, Freedom’s Sentinel, Resolute Support, Unified Protector, as well as Counter Narco-terrorism Operations.
Prior to his current assignment, he was the Operations Officer of NATO Flying Squadron 2, E-3A Component, Geilenkirchen AB, Germany.
|2001||Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa|
|2002||Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.|
|2007||Master of Arts degree in Business Administration, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla.|
|2007||Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.|
|2012||Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence|
Awards and Decorations
- Bronze Star
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Air Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
- NATO Medal
Rating: Senior Air Battle Manager
Flight hours: More than 2,300
Aircraft flown: E-3A/B/C
- January 2002 – September 2003, student, Undergraduate Air Battle Manager training, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- September 2003 – December 2006, E-3 AWACS Air Weapons Officer, Resource Advisor, 963rd Airborne Air
Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
- December 2006 – January 2010, Undergraduate Air Battle Manager Instructor, Flight Commander, Tyndall AFB,
- January 2010 – February 2012, E-3 AWACS Instructor Senior Director, Deputy Chief Standards and Evaluations,
960th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
- February 2012 – August 2013, E-3 AWACS FTU Instructor Senior Director, Assistant Director of Operations,
552nd Training Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
- August 2013 – July 2016, Contracting Section Chief, J8 Purchasing and Contracting, Headquarters Allied Joint
Force Command Brunssum, the Netherlands.
- May 2015 – May 2016, Aide de Camp Commander Resolute Support/United States Forces – Afghanistan,
Headquarters Resolute Support, Afghanistan
- July 2016 – June 2018, E-3 AWACS Instructor Mission Crew Commander, Chief of Wing Training Development
and Requirements, Plans Squadron, E-3A Component, Geilenkirchen AB, Germany
- June 2018 – July 2019, E-3 AWACS Instructor Mission Crew Commander, Operations Officer, NATO Flying
Squadron 2, E-3A Component, Geilenkirchen AB, Germany
- July 2019 – Present, Commander, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Detachment 250, Iowa State
University, Ames, Iowa.